Sunday, 4 July 2010

The Big Decision

In the summer of 2008 we found out that my wife was pregnant. This presented us with a big question: Should I get a genetic test to find out if I have HSP? My wife and I discussed this with the good people at our local genetics team.

Pro's for having the test:
* We would know for sure if there was a chance that I could pass the condition to our baby.
* If I had the condition, I would be able to plan for the future.

Pro's for not having the test:
* Finding out that I have the condition may adversely affect my outlook on life (or at least certain aspects of it).
* Having a genetic test may adversely affect me financially, e.g. future insurance applications.

In the end, for me, the pro's for having the test won over the pro's for not having the test, and, after a little uncertainty, it was clear that I should be tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment