Wednesday 24 May 2023

Symptoms Update - Fatigue

Its worth me making a note of this. I've once again been finding myself quite tired, and I've noticed that my mobility feels more difficult. I assume that my increased stiffness is a result of me feeling tired.

I was chatting with someone the other day trying to describe more detail around the fatigue symptom. This was quite useful as I'd not really put into words what had been going on. In my view fatigue from HSP has two elements, there is both a physical fatigue and a mental fatigue.

Firstly, the physical fatigue. In the most simple terms, you have to put more effort in to moving muscles, and supplying that extra effort comes at a cost. Each muscle movement - particularly in the legs - needs to do the usual work moving as it would for someone without HSP, but you also have to overcome the spasticity as well. In the muscle pair the muscle being asked to relax doesn't get that instruction fully, so the contracting muscle also has to overcome the residual tightness in the muscle.

Secondly, the mental fatigue. Whilst you're not specifically asking the muscles to do different things they are doing that. That extra work adds to your brain power as you have to amplify the instructions to make sure they get through. Your body is also having to compensate for any additional delays in processing, delays in movements, and changes in balance. Add on top of that any additional adjustments so that you dont scrape your feet on the floor (etc.) means that more brain power is needed to walk about.

On top of the additional brain power in moving around, some people will also be affected by burdens of being 'different' - worrying about what other people think whilst they are moving, uncertain about how HSP is going to change in the future, and how HSP might affect relationships with other people. I've chosen three examples here, and I know that different people can have different worries. For many these feelings dont go away, and that adds to the mental fatigue of HSP.

This helps explain why many people with HSP find it hard to walk and do anything else at the same time. There is much more brain power needed, meaning to stay safe (or at least not wobble around so much) effort has to be put in moving above talking etc. which people want to do when they are out and about with others.

It also makes me realise that the decisions to use/change mobility aids are not just going to be about the physical mobility side of things, there will be a big range of mental considerations as well.

I'm obviously trying to make sure that I'm trying to improve my sleep and feel less tired, but thats quite a challenge right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment